All adults who come into contact with pupils in their work have a duty to safeguard and promote their welfare. The Children Act 2004, places a duty on organisations to safeguard and promote the well-being of children and young people, this includes the need to ensure that all adults who work with, or on behalf of children and young people in these organisations are competent, confident and safe to do so. In doing this, organisations must understand which behaviours constitute safe practice and which behaviours staff should avoid. The updated, non-statutory ‘Guidance for safer working practice for those working with children and young people in education settings’ was published in February 2022 and as per the previous versions, it is for employers to decide whether to use the document, as an essential aid in establishing safe cultures and as the basis for their Staff Code of Conduct guidelines, staff induction, Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy etc.
This 2-hour whole school session has been developed to ensure staff and volunteers:
- Have a clearer understanding of the updated guidance for safer working practice in education
- Recognise the updated areas of responsibility for both schools and staff
- Know what to do if they suspect any breach or risk to child safety
- Understand what happens next
It is available for onsite or virtual delivery and all attendees will receive a Participation Certificate.
Optional extras to support compliance within Keeping Children Safe in Education
- Delegate online assessment which provides your mechanism to evidence your staff/volunteer understanding of the training content and their safeguarding responsibilities
- Access for the current academic year to a recorded video of the training for your school key stakeholders who were unable to attend the live session or for inclusion in your new staff safeguarding induction programme
- Access to a secure Slide Deck presentation and notes covering the content of the training. This presentation will support your trained Designated Safeguarding Lead to deliver inhouse key messages for those key stakeholders who were unable to attend the live session or for inclusion in your new staff safeguarding induction programme