Want to run this event in-house? Enquire about running this event in-house
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
DfE updated guidance Searching, Screening and Confiscation; Advice for schools in July 2022 providing best practice guidance to ensure headteachers, governors, staff and pupils understand the appropriate powers and rules around pupil behaviour and how they should facilitate this in their setting.
Using searching, screening and confiscation powers appropriately is an important way to ensure pupil and staff welfare is protected and helps schools establish an environment where everyone is safe. Schools and their staff are an important part of the wider safeguarding system for children. This system is described in the statutory guidance Working together to safeguard children. Keeping children safe in education makes clear that all school staff have a responsibility to provide a safe environment in which pupils can learn.
Our interactive 2-hour course has been developed in accordance with the 2022 best practice guidance.
- Who can search and when?
- Role of the headteacher, DSL and authorised staff
- What statutory prohibited and banned items are?
- Reasonable grounds for conducting a search
- Extent of the search
- What constitutes a strip search and who can carry one out and when
- Guidance to support best practice before, during and after a search
- Screening and confiscation of items including electronic devices
- Recording and informing parents
It is available for onsite or virtual delivery and all attendees will receive a Participation Certificate.
The setting will receive an information booklet detailing links to all resources referred to throughout the training.
Optional extras to support compliance within Keeping Children Safe in Education.
- Delegate online assessment which provides your mechanism to evidence your staff/volunteer understanding of the training content and their safeguarding responsibilities
- Access for the current academic year to a recorded video of the training for your school key stakeholders who were unable to attend the live session or for inclusion in your new staff safeguarding induction programme